The need for sleep has never been emphasized so much as it is being done in this modern era. Between the hustle and bustle of our daily lives and the allure of social platforms with their ever-growing content range, there is very little time available for sleep. We find more people these days yawning and droning through their day-to-day activities. Talk about a real-life zombie movie- yikes! We find more time in our schedules and to-do lists for every other activity but sleep and when we finally get to try to sleep, the buzz of activities in our heads can’t seem to let it happen. Counting sheep doesn't even cut it this time. The average person needs at least 7-8 hours of sleep for optimal rest and skin rejuvenation.
Why all the fuss about sleep?
5 Health Benefits of Sleep
- Great for your heart: Getting a healthy amount of sleep allows your body to rest and cell regeneration and repair happens faster when you are at sleep as well as your heart rate is more even and paced. Your heart is recharging to power on for the next day’s activities. Also, lack of sleep or not enough of it can lead to the production and release of cortisol, a stress hormone that causes your heart to work harder.
- Immune Boost: when your body is at rest during sleep, it takes that time to repair itself. Cell regeneration and restocking of depleted stores happen at this time. Even the rate of metabolic activities is evened out during sleep.
- Promotes Healthy Weight: When you get adequate sleep you get less hungry. The hormones in your brain that control appetite is in sync and unison. And you have better control over your weight gain. Being sleep-deprived messes with the hormones in your brain, leptin and ghrelin, that control appetite. Leptin is responsible for telling your body you're full when you eat. Insufficient sleep decreases its production while it increases the production of ghrelin, a hormone for boosting appetite.¹ This can throw your eating habit out of balance and put your weight at risk.
- Improved Concentration and Memory: Sleep has been linked to improved concentration and higher cognitive function, both of which can help you be successful at work. Sleep helps in quick learning and assimilation as well as improves cognitive reasoning. Adequate sleep helps you focus better and take in new information as well as gives your brain enough time to effectively store memories so you can draw them up when you need them much later. Good sleep also helps improve problem-solving skills and memory performance.
- Mood Boost: Great sleep helps you “get up on the right side of your bed”. You head into the day feeling refreshed, energized, and optimistic. When you sleep well, your energy levels are boosted and your approach towards challenges and difficulties will be better. This is a different story when you have been sleep-deprived. Another thing that your brain does while you sleep is processing your emotions. Your mind needs this time to recognize and react the right way. When you cut that short, you tend to have more negative emotional reactions and fewer positive ones.²
How Guava Leaf Tea Helps you Sleep Better
Enjoying a warm cup of tea in the evening is a calming practice to help your body transition to a state of relaxation. Making that cup of organic, herbal tea from a
Guava leaf extract tea is even better! A quality of Guava is its ability to aid in relaxing and calming your overactive nerves and keeping you in a deep sleep state longer. It also helps maintain healthy sugar levels in the blood.
This is especially helpful for people who can’t seem to fall asleep due to frequently having to get up to urinate because of elevated sugar levels and also for people who seem to wake up in the middle of their sleep when their blood sugar gets too low. This is because the decrease activates the production of cortisol; a stress hormone that is also responsible for waking us up in the morning. Taking Guava leaf tea also helps to monitor stress levels.
The presence of fiber in Guava also helps to promote gut health and support healthy digestion. This helps to prevent restlessness at night caused by bowel movements and lack of proper digestion helping you sleep uninterrupted all through the night.
The Herbal Goodness Guava leaf extract tea is great as a daily evening routine. You can make a cup of this organic herbal, non-GMO Guava leaf extract, pick up some reading material and turn off all gadgets or put them away. Screens, artificial light, and social media can be distracting and interrupt your sleep process. If you aren’t a fan of teas, however, you can always take Guava leaf extract in the form of capsules with a glass of water right before bed.
I guess all that is left for me to say is - Sweet Dreams!
- Verywellhealth.com. 10 Top Health Benefits of Sleep. Accessed on May 19, 2021.
- Webmd.com. Surprising Reasons to Get More Sleep. Accessed on June 18, 2019.